Monday, January 10, 2011

Mikey Rocks (The Cool Kids)

I wanted to post yesterday so I spent a whole lot of time listening through some mixtapes from last month I hadn't heard yet just to find one dope track.  No luck.  I really want to stick to a certain level of quality on here so, at least for now, I'm gonna be somewhat picky.

Trying not to get frustrated, I figured I'd check the Hype Machine for some kind of crazy remix.  The top 20 didn't have anything special so I moved on.  I don't really like the new setup by the way, whatever happened to keeping things 'fresh'?   I fell back on searching for one of my tried and true favorites, The Cool Kids.  I was looking for any recent remixes I hadn't come across.  I know Big Talk just came out, but that was so 2010...

What I did find was something else.  I am ashamed, embarrassed, and not angry, but just disappointed with myself for sleeping on several tracks from the summer that Sir Michael of the Rocks (known to his friends as Mikey, he rocks) put out sans Chuck.  Don't trip, The Cool Kids are still together and will be knocking in your stereo in 2011, but Mikey took some time to work with his fellow Chicagoans in Produktionix while the kids were out of school and playing in the pools.  I guess he was just keeping it in the Go during his summer vacation.

Remember how I couldn't find ONE cool song in all those mixtapes?  Well I've got FOUR from Mikey.  Listen to two of them below.
Mikey Rocks – The Sunshine + Bahamas by Hypetrak

I saw these at iR.  'Bahamas' is probably my favorite out of the group, but you already know I much prefer the summer heat.  Two more at FSD.

Oh, and if you've been wasting around more than I have, do yourself a favor and make sure you have Tacklebox.  It was probably definitely my favorite mixtape of the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment